February 18, 2013

The Emancipation Proclamation!

 Howdy!

 photo securedownload23_zpsaecebe75.jpg
  HAAAAAPPY PRESIDENT'S DAY if you're in the United States!
    Yesterday, I went to the Tennessee State Museum to see the real-life Emancipation Proclamation. Nashville was one of the three stops of a Civil War exhibit featuring the actual Proclamation (and the actual Proclamation was only part of the exhibit for a few days, then was shipped back to the National Archives; also, it was only exposed to 72 hours of light over the course of its time in the exhibit!).
If you're not in the U.S., here's what you need to know: Abraham Lincoln, American's 16th President, signed this document in the time of the Civil War, and it broke the backbone of slavery.
 photo securedownload2-1_zpsf7f5226c.jpg
    As a true history nut (I know everyone says they're a "nut" about something, but for real, history just gets me going), I was beyond thrilled to see it. I'd been looking forward to it since early January when I reserved my spot (dollar well spent!), so Sunday the 17th couldn't come quickly enough!
   I saw the original Emancipation Proclamation and Thirteenth Amendment with Abraham Lincoln's actual signature. I got chills. I wanted to throw up; I couldn't handle it.
     I couldn't take pictures of the actual E.P., but I could of the Thirteenth Amendment. And I did. BUT NOT WITH HIS SIGNATURE. I didn't get one close enough! I AM SO ANGRY! It was such a gorgeous signature. I AM SO UPSET.

 photo securedownload1-1_zps6cbc3e9e.jpg photo securedownload22-1_zps515b8e1d.jpg
 photo epcollage_zps0f9a9ddc.jpg
 
 
Anyway, since this was such a monumental moment for me, I had to share. Seeing something of historical value in real life just makes me want to pee my pants.
 
  xoxo,
     Zoe 

No comments:

Post a Comment